Adrien is my sister...not by choice, but by law

Adrien is my sister...not by choice, but by law. Sweet Adrien decided that I am somewhat funny. So, to satisfy her, I started this blog. Whether you will laugh or find me interesting, I can't predict, but no matter what you get out of this blog, just remember...Adrien Made Me Do It!!















Thursday, May 13, 2010

Rated "G"lee for Adults

Okay, so I absolutely love Glee. It is the funniest show I have seen on tv since Friends. Seriously, it combines humor, music and teen angst in a way that no other show has or will. From the very first episode, I was hooked. GENIUS!! The kids on that show are top notch comedic performers. They have timing talent to say the least. They can all sing, or so we are led to believe. None of them are what I would call indescribably beautiful, but they are pretty enough to keep you watching yet generic enough to make you feel as though you can relate. Teen shows in the past have targeted kids with their over the top lifestyles (O.C.), gorgeous actors (90210), or the "little fish in a big pond" premis (Time of My Life- short lived but cute Jennifer Love Hewitt spin-off from the contrived drama Party of Five). Might I just take a moment to say, that I watched all of these pretty faithfully except for The O.C. It came on after I developed a mind of my own and refused to waste my time on anorexic, morally handicapped children with lacking parental authority. But Glee transcends all of that stereotypical teenage crap and embraces it all at the same time!!

Also, I have to get my Sue Sylvester fix every Tuesday night at 9pm. The combination of the writing and her delivery is UNBELIEVABLE. Might I just go ahead and start the campaign for a Jayne Lynch Emmy? She deserves it people.


Alright, so, I love my Glee, right? But the thing is, that it started out a somewhat family show. My kids love the music. We have both soundtracks and they love them. We sing them all the time, but I am afraid that the subject matter has gotten beyond my ability to filter and explain.

Problem Characters for me
Kurt - How do you make a 6 & 7 year old understand why Kurt acts the way he does without explaining that he likes boys? I don't know. Tell me. I need answers. I respect all the struggles that Kurt goes through with his dad, but come on EVERY episode? Really?!?! He is so flamboyant that he should just get a job on that crappy teen drama "Degrassi"!

Puck - Self-absorbed, opportunist with enough testosterone to believe that he can repopulate the earth should we need him to, a walking STD

Santana - the girl version of Puck but catty and there are no words to describe how shallow she is, absolutely no redeeming qualities

Britney - stupid and promiscuous, that's about it, there is no one upstairs

Quinn - pregnant, for one, a liar for two, and she is seemingly out for revenge on Rachel, however, she does have moments of kindness and maturity that are heart warming and sweet, albeit few and far between

Mr. Schuster- My fave character from the beginning, and still is most of the time, but WHY did he have to go and mess around behind Emma's back? Why, why...WHY!?!?! He slipped a few notches on my moral measuring stick. Emma has this "condition" that she is trying to work through to be with him and he goes and plays her like that...WWWHHHYYYY!!!!

Jacob- obsessed with Rachel and has said more than once that he "just wants to get in her panties"

(I complain, but I love all these characters. They are the jigsaw pieces that make up the extraordinary puzzle we know as the Glee Club. New Directions ROCKS!!!!!)

None of the other characters have really presented a problem for me, but obviously there is too much adult content for the kids to watch anymore. We tivo it and watch it before we let the kids watch it so that we know where to fast forward, but there is less and less of the show that they can actually watch. We didn't let them watch a single second of the MADONNA episode.

So, remember me when you're watching Glee and something completely ianppropriate happens such as, gay talk, backstabbing, sexting, or pretty much everything else and you are laying on the floor in stitches. I am squirming in my seat b/c my 7 year old is sitting beside me with her blanket and baby doll!!! The children are going to be officially cut off!!









































2 comments:

  1. Two words: 8:30 bedtimes.

    Frankly, the relationship with Kurt and his father is my absolute favorite part of the show. I can't imagine the struggle either of them have, and it is so realistic.

    The whole thing reminds me so much of high school actually was, I think that's why I love it. Well, without the random bursting into song. And the fact that the fat girl EVER got to be popular, even for ten minutes. And how we didn't have a glee club (I think). I'm pretty sure if there had been one, I woulda been on it. Sigh, so geeky was I.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are a family of Gleeks at the Stanley household. Ian loves it, but he pretty much only pays attention to the musical numbers. His fave is when Kurt and the football team danced. LOL!

    ReplyDelete

My Peeps

My Peeps

Followers

Powered By Blogger