Adrien is my sister...not by choice, but by law

Adrien is my sister...not by choice, but by law. Sweet Adrien decided that I am somewhat funny. So, to satisfy her, I started this blog. Whether you will laugh or find me interesting, I can't predict, but no matter what you get out of this blog, just remember...Adrien Made Me Do It!!















Thursday, July 8, 2010

Paging Mr. James...The Rest of Us Would Like to Get on with Our Lives



In our house, the television tends to stay within a few channels; Disney (any of the 5), HGTV, DIY (which has been the catalyst for some of the dumbest ideas my husband has ever had, bless his heart), the Discovery Channel (I have a little crush on Mike Rowe) and ESPN (any of them). We don't get outside of our comfort zone too often. I don't complain about this fact. It is what it is.


Typically, several times a day you will find the tv on ESPN because God forbid we miss a score. And honestly, I don't mind to watch Sportscenter. I actually enjoy the top 10 plays/bloopers. However, I do have a problem with the constant coverage on Lebron James.


I don't think that NBC, CBS, CNN and all the other networks spent as much time on the 9/11 crisis as ESPN has on the mystery of where Lebron James is going to bounce a ball for the next 5 years. WHO CARES?!?!? Seriously, the man doesn't have the cure for cancer, he has a great jump shot. That's it. He's talented at basketball. I don't deny that he is one of the greatest, but come on!! He is slated to make more money than all of the people I know, their children and their grandchildren will in their lifetimes. Ridiculous!!!


Anyone who knows me understands how much I love basketball. I like every aspect of it. Playing, watching, coaching. It's all good. I really don't like professional sports. They take the heart of the game away and replace it with endorsements and shenanigans. Years ago, when I was a kid, I enjoyed it. The players were just that, players. They didn't have paparazzi following them around and their wives didn't have a tv show on VH1, which, by the way, is ASININE!! They just played ball and they were applauded for the talent it took them their whole lives to develop. Now, it's all glitz and glamour and they get traded from team to team for publicity as much as anything else.


Thank God, we still have college basketball. Those kids play with everything they've got whether they have professional potential or not. Why? Because they are living out their dreams. Every kid fantasizes of playing for their favorite team. Through that desire they learn hard work and dedication. And, maybe if they are really good, they will get paid for all this hard work. I'm okay with that, but I am not okay with the amount of money that is wasted on professional sports.


These men are not changing the world, they are bouncing a ball, throwing a ball, hitting a ball with a stick, tackling each other, chasing each other, punching someone in the face that they don't even know, kicking a ball, trying to get a ball in a little bitty hole...how does the world benefit from ANYTHING that they are doing? On average, these athletes will make enough money in a few years time to sustain a small country. Why?! It's only entertainment.


No wonder some of the other countries around the world are disgusted with us. Wouldn't you be? They are trying to feed their children and crapping in a hole in the ground and we are paying millions of dollars to a "sex-addicted" golfer for driving a Chrysler. Hello? Is anyone out there? Anyone listening? It just doesn't make sense.


However, if you don't pay the players, then the team owner gets all of the revenue while the actual talent does all of the work. It's a catch-22.


So, I am pleading with you, Mr. James. Please just make your decision so that I don't have to listen to anymore of the sports analysts try to figure out what city you will grace with your presence. I hope that when Jesus comes back to get us, someone notices. However, if free agent negotiations are going on, I am doubtful.

1 comment:

My Peeps

My Peeps

Followers

Powered By Blogger